Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Summary from Goodreads - While other teenage girls daydream about boys, Calla Tor imagines ripping out her enemies’ throats. And she wouldn’t have it any other way. Calla was born a warrior and on her eighteenth- birthday she’ll become the alpha female of the next generation of Guardian wolves. But Calla’s predestined path veers off course the moment she saves the life of a wayward hiker, a boy her own age. This human boy’s secret will turn the young pack's world upside down and forever alter the outcome of the centuries-old Witches' War that surrounds them all.




Fans of Aprilynne Pike, Cassandra Clare, Holly Black, and Maggie Stievfaster alike will revel in the discovery of Andrea Cremer, author of Nightshade. Though I fearedNightshade was just another story of supernatural-being-falls-in-love-with-mortal, I gave it a shot anyway, and I’m certainly glad I did. Ms. Cremer sucked me into Calla’s dark world easily, and I felt very sorry for anyone who tried to get my attention while I was reading because I was so wrapped up in the story that I barely registered what was going on in my surroundings.


I liked that the structure of the werewolf society was explained so thoroughly because I feel that authors don’t always spend enough time on that in fantasy novels, and that takes away from my enjoyment of the book. I think Nightshade is a very unique werewolf story, and I was pleased that I didn’t notice any similarities between it and other supernatural novels I’ve read. Reading so much takes away from my enjoyment of a book because I can often predict how a story ends. Nightshade, however, kept me on my toes until the final page, though in the end my original prediction was correct. I look forward to reading more of Andrea Cremer’s work, and hope that everyone else is as impressed by her fresh, unique voice as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment