Tuesday, September 27, 2011

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

If I Stay is a book about loss, love, and music.

I really only read this book because of all the hype about it and its recently-released sequel,Where She Went. This book was indeed quite good, and I simply cannot understand why one version of the cover shows a quote stating "Fans of Twilight will love this book." A) it's not supernatural, B) More importantly, this book is better than Twilight in every single freaking way, most noticeably in the quality of writing, and C) Adam is sooooooooooo much better than Edward.

Also, this is not about the book specifically, but as a musician I think it should be addressed: I for one am sick of reading books about musicians who aspire to go to Julliard. I'm sure it's a great school, but there are many other music schools that are just as good or better than Julliard, such as Berklee College of Music in Boston and the Oberlin Conservatory. I suppose authors use it because it's more widely known, but still, BE ORIGINAL.

However, I do have to say I loved all of the musical metaphors, and how Adam told Mia to "play him like a cello" and then played her like a guitar. Most romantic scene in a book ever.

*possible spoiler alert* I do not think Mia will stay with Adam. I really, really want her to, but I don't think she will. I think she'll live and play cello again, but I think she'll go to Julliard instead of staying with him.

Other than that, pretty good book.


UP SOON -------------------> Where She Went, the sequel, written from Adam's very hot perspective...

Also try:
The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
NOTE: includes loss, a lot of love, and clarinet

No comments:

Post a Comment